Google plus is a social networking site that has existed since June 2011. It was developed by Google, with features, to help you communicate with friends and individuals in your communities.
The features of the Google plus include posting of photos and status updates, text and video chatting, video conferencing, community-based forum, a grouping of relationships and so on.
How to join Google Plus
To join Google plus, you will need a Google account. You can join Google plus through the web or the Google + app. If you have a Google account, you can join Google plus by following these steps:
- Go to plus.google.com on your web browser, or open the Google plus app in your device
- From your web browser, Click the “sign in” button at the top right or the “join Google +” at the left side of the page.
- Sign in with your Google account login details, and you will be signed in to your Google plus account
- Then, you will be asked to set up your profile. Click “create a profile”
- Enter the required personal information in the provided field and follow subsequent instructions
To sign out of your Google plus account, click your profile pictures and then tap the “sign out”.
READ ALSO: Google my business – Get business listings
A look at your Google Plus account
On your Google + account is the menu icon where you can navigate to “Home”, “Discover”, “Communities”, “Profile”, “People”, “Notification”, “Setting” and so on.
There is the “what’s new with you?” field, where you can type and send posts. There is also the “search Google +” box where you search for people.
The rest of your account is a home stream, which contains posts from the communities and collections you follow and post from the people in your circle.
How to download the Google Plus app
The Google plus app is available for iOS and Android devices. For the iOS and Android devices, you can get the Google Plus app from their various native apps.
Creating circles on Google Plus
Unlike some other social network, you do not friend people on Google Plus, you circle them. This circling helps you narrow your choice of who can see your shared content and also who you can see theirs. To create a circle, follow these steps:
- Go to plus.google.com on your web browser, or open the Google + app in your device
- Sign in with your Google account login details, and you will be signed in to your Google + account
- Click the “people” on the navigation menu
- Click the “following” tab
- Then click “new circle”
- Enter the name of the new circle in the provided field, and click “Create”
Adding and removing people from a circle
Now that your new circle is created, you can start adding people to it. To add someone to your circle, you must be following the person. To add the person, you are following, to your circle, click the circle’s name on the person profile and check the box of the circles that you want the person to be added to.
You can add the person to more than one circle.
To remove a person from a circle, uncheck the box of the circle, you want the person to be removed from.
Deleting circle and changing settings of a circle
To delete a circle or change the settings of a circle, click the “people” on the navigation menu of your Google plus account. Then click on “⁞” on the circle you want to delete or change its settings, and it will bring out some options. To delete the circle, click the “delete circle” option, and confirm the deletion. To change the settings of the circle, click the “circle settings” to make changes to the circle.
How to create and join communities on Google plus
On Google plus, you can stay connected with a community you have a common interest with or you could create a community for other people with common interest, to join. Communities can be made private or public.
Create a community on Google plus
To create a community on Google Plus, sign in to your Google + account and then click the “communities” on the navigation menu. Click the “new community” and a small window will pop up. On the small window, enter the name of the community in the provided field, select if you want to make the community public or private and make some other changes, if necessary. When you are done, click “DONE”.
Having created a community, you might want to invite people to the community. To do that, go to your community page and click the “add someone” icon. You will see options: invite people on Google plus and invite through a link. Choose your preferred option and follow subsequent instructions.
Join communities on Google plus
To join a community, simply navigate to “community” and search for a community you want to join. When you find the community, click the “join” on the community.
READ ALSO: Review of the Google Weather Report
Creating a collection on Google plus
With your collection, you can easily find the post, you and other people, want to see. You can create a collection of whatever you want, like collection of recipes, collection of sport and so on. To create a collection, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Google plus account
- Click the pen-like icon and a small wind will pop up
- On the small window, Tap the link next to your name
- Click the “create a collection” option
- Enter the name of your collection in the provided field
- Click the drop-down next to the “visible to:” to select your preferred visibility
- Enter your tagline
- When you are done, click the “create”
How to follow a collection
Following a collection lets, you see posts in that collection. To follow a collection, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Google plus account
- Click the “discover” at the navigation menu
- Search for the collection you want to follow
- Having found the collection, click the “follow” on the collection