Are you a game geek and is interested in airing your gameplay on an online platform, where people can watch you show your game mastery? Or do you wish to watch people from all over the globe show their mastery in their gameplay? If that is a yes, Twitch is the right site for you to play with.
What is twitch?
Twitch is a live streaming video site designed to focus on video game live streaming. It was introduced on June 2011, by Twitch interactive, a subsidiary of Amazon.com.
On Twitch, you can stream your gameplay for others to watch. This you can do by using your PC, Xbox One and Play Station 4.
The Twitch app is available for PCs, Android, Mac, Windows and iOS devices. To download the Twitch app for your Android, Mac, Windows or ios device, go to your device’s native app store.
To download the Twitch app for your PC, go to app.twitch.tv on your web browser. Then click the “download” button.
How to Create a free account with Twitch
You might watch and comment on streams without having an account with Twitch, but creating an account with Twitch gives you a lot of benefits like being able to broadcast your gameplay to the Twitch community, following your favorite broadcaster, chatting with broadcasters and the Twitch community.
To create an account with Twitch, follow these steps:
- Go to app.twitch.tv on your web browser, or click here.
- Click the “sign up” button at the top right corner of the Twitch homepage. A sign-up/login window will pop up
- If you want sign through your Facebook, click the Facebook icon and then follow the subsequent instructions.
- On the sign-up tab, enter your username, password, date of birth, and email address in the provided fields.
- Then, click “sign up”
Having created an account with Twitch, it is advisable to change some of your settings, like the “channel and video” settings. To go to the settings on your Twitch account, click the drop-down menu and then click settings. On the settings, you can edit your profile, turbo, channel and videos, security and privacy, notifications, connections, and subscriptions.
How to stream games to Twitch
You can stream games to Twitch by using your PC, PS4 or Xbox One game consoles. The PS4 and Xbox one already has inbuilt streaming capabilities, but PCs will require some decent hardware and streaming software to stream your games on Twitch.
Streaming Games to Twitch on PC
It is essential for you to note that not all PCs are capable of streaming games on Twitch. The requirement for your PC depends on the game you want to stream, but it is recommended your PC have at least 4GB of RAM, a high-end graphics card and a powerful processor like the Intel Core i5 or i7.
Your PC also require broadcasting software to stream games to Twitch. The two common broadcasting software is the Open Broadcast Software and the XSplit Software.
Using open broadcast software
To use open broadcast software, follow these steps:
- Install the broadcast software on your PC
- From your web browser, Sign in to your Twitch account and then click the drop-down menu
- Click the “dashboard”
- From the playing tab, search for the game you want to play and select it.
- Then, enter the title for your broadcast in the provided fields
- Now, launch the installed open broadcast software by running it as administrator
- Go to the settings menu and click the “broadcast settings”
- From the “streaming service” drop-down, select Twitch
- Then click the “optimize” located at the bottom-left
- Go back to your Twitch dashboard and click the “stream key” tab. Follow subsequent prompts to get your streaming code
- Copy the streaming code. Then go back to the open broadcast software and paste the streaming code in stream key box. Then, click “ok”
- Go to the open broadcast software and right click the sources box.
- Select add and then click the “game capture”
- Click the drop-down menu and select the game you want to play
- You can go back to the source box, and right-click on it, so as to add additional feeds
- Now, you can make any editing on your streaming
- When you are done, click “start streaming”, and you will be live.
READ ALSO: Candy Crush Game Review
To use XSplit, follow these steps:
- Open the installed XSplit
- On the “broadcast” tab, click the “add channel”
- Then, click the “Twitch” and select “authorize”
- Enter your Twitch login details in the provided fields and login
- Then select “Finish”
- Now, you can edit the properties of your stream. Then, click “ok”
- Now, set the scene. Click the “add” on the screen sources on the XSplit interface
- Select the “game capture” and click the game you want to play
- You can bring in additional sources to your webcam feed by using the “add” drop-down
- Tap the “broadcast” menu and click the “twitch”. And you will be live
How to stream to Twitch on PS4
To stream a game on your PS4, you will need a PS4 console, PS4 camera, a stable internet connection, DualShock 4 controller and of course, a game to play. To stream to Twitch on PS4, follow these steps:
- While you are playing a game, press the share button on the controller
- Click the “broadcast gameplay” and then, select “Twitch”
- Login to your Twitch account
- Press the share button again
- The, click “Broadcast gameplay” and select “Twitch”
- Click “start broadcast”
How to stream to Twitch on Xbox One
To stream a game on Xbox one, you will need an Xbox One console, Xbox one controller, Xbox one camera, a stable internet connection and a game to play. To stream to Twitch on Xbox, follow these steps:
- Download the Twitch app from the Xbox store before you start playing your game
- Install the Twitch app and log in to your Twitch account
- Start up the game you want to stream
- Open the Twitch app and then, go to the main menu to click “broadcast”
- Follow the subsequent instructions.